Sunday, January 14, 2018

Design Trends in Iceland

If you’ve known me for any time, you know that I love to travel. And I mean love. Traveling stimulates my creativity and opens my eyes to new ideas, trends and designs. This fall I had the opportunity to travel to Iceland.



Iceland is known as Fire and Ice. Home to glaciers and volcanoes, thankfully, we only saw the ice side while we were there.  In our explorations, driving and sightseeing, I observed some interesting design trends.

1.      Monochromatic: White, black, natural wood color, dark blue/gray colors. Building exteriors & interior decorations were very monochromatic. Even the sheep, ponies and reindeer fit into this color scheme.

2.    Colorful: In the capital city of Reykjavik, we climbed to the top of the famous Hallgrímskirkja Church. From the lookouts at the top the colorful houses and rooftops were a sight to behold.

3.    Glass: With such amazing views in any direction you looked, most homes had a lot of glass in them allowing the outside landscape to be part of the interior art.

4.    Simple: Many of the interior furnishings and decorations felt very Scandinavian which makes sense since that’s the next closest inhabited land mass.


It truly was a trip of a lifetime and I can’t wait to visit one spring when everything is green and I see a completely different side of this beautiful country. Have you observed any design trends on your travels? I’d love to hear!  Send me an email at jessica@webbercoleman.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment