Sunday, September 13, 2015

Remodel Roller Coaster-Part 3


For the past several weeks we have been discussing frustrations that could be encountered during a remodel project. Today we will finish up our series.

4. "I haven't see anyone on the job site in days." Could it be that they are waiting for the sheetrock mud to dry, or concrete to cure, the hardwoods to acclimate to your house or the mud to dry out? Or is it that the contractor hasn't communicated a delay to you. Before jumping to the wrong conclusion, talk with your contractor.

5. "My contractor won't return my phone calls or emails." Are they on vacation and failed to let you know? Did you give them adequate time to respond or are you expecting a call back within the hour? Some job sites don't have cell reception at them or maybe they are in a meeting and unable to respond. Ask your contractor up front what their response time is to emails and phone calls. Also, that's another great question for past clients before deciding on a contractor.

6. "My allowance won't cover what I told my contractor I wanted." Perhaps you didn't clearly spell out to your contractor what you wanted or maybe they weren't listening. In comparing estimates, it's important to make sure your allowances correctly reflect the level of style and quality you are looking for. Low allowances could contribute to a lower project price and some contractors operate that way in order to get the job, only ending up with a higher overall price once you have made your selections. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.


I hope this series has been helpful for you and helps avoid any heartache in the future. I'd love to hear about any of your experiences and any items I didn't discuss. Feel free to email me at jessica@webbercoleman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment