Sunday, January 4, 2015

New Year, New You!


        A new year is here! I don’t know about you, but January always makes me itch to organize, simplify, throw away and rearrange. It’s a fresh start. A chance to make this year even better than the last. To enjoy every moment with less stuff to distract you. Here’s a couple of things you’ll find me doing this weekend.

 

Papers-recycle any papers you don’t need long term; expired coupons, old invitations, out of date school calendars.

 

Purse-dump everything out and only put back what you need. Go through your wallet and file or throw away any receipts you no longer need. How many lip colors do you really need to carry around every day? Keep only your favorites!

 

Magazines-make it a rule to throw out the previous issue when the new issue comes in. Or like me, read it and throw it away or pass it on to someone who would enjoy it.

 

Closets-Oh man, I’ve been ignoring this one too long.

Shoes- Weed out any shoes that are uncomfortable or beyond repair. Polish any shoes that need it.

 

Hangers-remove all extra hangers. Many dry cleaners will take back wire hangers and recycle them. This is my favorite quick cleaning tip.

 

Clothes-after all of the holiday parties there are probably some items that need to go to the dry cleaners or need some mending. Give away anything you haven’t worn in the past year or no longer like. There are several challenges out there in regards to clothing. The Capsule Wardrobe, 30 day challenge and Project 333 to name a few. There are even apps that can help you create outfits out of things already in your closet.

 

When in doubt, ask yourself these questions.

 

1.Do I really need this?

2.Do I love it?

3.Do I already have something else that will work?

4.Do I use it regularly?

5.Where am I going to put it?

6.How hard would it be to replace this item someday if I needed to?

 

I’d love to hear what your favorite January organizing tasks are. Send me an email at jessica@webbercoleman.com. See you at Goodwill!

No comments:

Post a Comment